Enter as a Stranger.. Leave as a Friend
RSS

Friday, July 23, 2010


I am like an onion....
After High School, I decided that I wanted to be a court interpreter for the Deaf. I enrolled in Sign Language classes and began my quest. Once I got the basics, I began attending Deaf Community events at local coffee shops. It was the most amazing thing! You would walk into the coffee shop and it would be PACKED with people, all signing and not saying a word. I would sit down, and sign.. "Hi my name is Misty, I am learning sign language in school, I would love to chat with you" (That was the one phrase I had down pat). The deaf community was so welcoming and I would sit for hours and hours signing with everyone. While I was relishing in my new passion I found that the hardest part about learning a new language is getting practice. So besides attending events, another way I got practice was to sign all the license plate numbers and letters while I commuted back and forth to work (~3 hrs each way). Although there a few awkward moments where I looked like I was throwing up gang signs, all in all it helped! At the time I was obsessing over the deaf community, I was also working at a Christian retail store. This one night a cute girl came into my store with her boyfriend. I saw her sign to him and I stopped dead in my tracks. I made my way over to her and we started talking. She told me her boyfriend was deaf and so she was in the process of learning sign language. THATS IT I THOUGHT!!!! I need a deaf boyfriend.. one slightly more attractive than hers, but nonetheless deaf. I would become an expert signer and be even more accepted and loved in the deaf community. Thankfully for the deaf community after months of pining after him, this phase (as they all do) passed before I found my deaf man in shining armor. 





16 comments:

ryan sabouneh said...

dumdumdumdum is this blog available in brail too?

Misty Michelle said...

I Love you Ryan.. even though your not deaf ;)

Unknown said...

too funny!
I always wanted to learn... never pushed myself hard enough... It is always great to know how to so you can talk to someone. My aunt is deaf but she can talk. Scotty {my boyfriend} his aunt dates a man who is deaf but can read lips. both lost their hearing later in life

Misty Michelle said...

@Tiffany I just think it is such a beautiful language. I got hooked when I saw a girl interpreting worship songs at church one Sunday... it was such a pretty thing to watch!

Sole Matters said...

uhhhhh i need to know the rest! :)

C Mae said...

So is that what you do for work now? anything with Sign language? What a great skill to have :)

Misty Michelle said...

No.. I ended up in the IT industry.. random! ;)

Lil Swizzy said...

OH MY GOSH~ You're hilarious!! I took up signing too for awhile, I never thought about finding a deaf boyfriend... that was genius!!!
It's been a long time since I first learned it, but I think that I can still do numbers and letters...
(mmmmm.... maybe I should enroll in a class again, I have some free time...**Lightbulb Above Head**)

HEA Bookshelf said...

hahhahhahhaa your so funny!! and also very determined!! and that I admire!
xoxo

Kristin said...

haha thats so great!! is that the same boy you are with now?
my sister is deaf and i grew up signing. its so fun to know!

Ms. Emmy N said...

haha, good for you girl! How cool to be able to speak sign language! I still remember the alphabet, but thats about it. And OMG, I can not believe you drove 3 hrs to work! You are dedicated!

Jack said...

Misty,

I am so happy to see you back. Hope you will follow instructions of your doctor. Also please do take care of your health - both physical and financial. I am sure you will come out a winner.

Take care

Misty Michelle said...

@Emily.. ya it was an AWFUL COMMUTE!

@Jack.. yeah I am trying to be really careful about eating right and going to my follwo up doctors appointments. Thanks :)

@Kristin.. Never found one.. haha..luckily for him!!!

SaraD727 said...

This just made me laugh out loud! I love your blog :)

Misty Michelle said...

Thanks Sara!!! ;)

Sara said...

this. is. awesome. LOL

even better that now you are randomingly in IT haha!

Good thing I was a nationally certified working 6 years interpreter before my fantasic man came around. (who happens to be Deaf) or he might think I was using him just for language development ;-)

Wanted to share this post with you- a little about Us.

http://thistleandclovers.blogspot.com/2010/04/acculturated.html

So glad I found your blog! :-)

Post a Comment