Enter as a Stranger.. Leave as a Friend
RSS

Monday, March 8, 2010

My Love Language

What is the secret to a happy healthy relationship? Friendship? Money? Love? Laughter? .... If I knew some secret formula I am sure that I would be a multi millionaire by now. I remember a long time ago I heard about the 5 love languages: Words of Affirmation, Quality Time, Receiving Gifts, Acts of Service and Physical touch. This book described how everyone speaks and receives love in a different language. This theory intrigues me because, a person could be constantly giving love in a language their partner doesn't speak. Since learning this concept, I have tried to figure out each person in my life's love language. And looking back to past relationships,.. this makes soo much sense! This is the description the book gives for my love languages:


Words of Affirmation
Actions don’t always speak louder than words. If this is your love language, unsolicited compliments mean the world to you. Hearing the words, “I love you,” are important—hearing the reasons behind that love sends your spirits skyward. Insults can leave you shattered and are not easily forgotten.


Physical Touch
This language isn’t all about the bedroom. A person whose primary language is Physical Touch is, not surprisingly, very touchy. Hugs, pats on the back, holding hands, and thoughtful touches on the arm, shoulder, or face—they can all be ways to show excitement, concern, care, and love. Physical presence and accessibility are crucial, while neglect or abuse can be unforgivable and destructive.



It's funny how different relationships bring to light different aspects of your personality. You could be a completely secure person, then meet that one person who "brings out your crazy" as I like to say. The dynamics of your personality can fluctuate depending on your partner. For example, I have been called "Needy" by every guy I have ever dated except for one. That one person, happened to be an "affirmation" person. I never wanted for the kind of affection that made me fully content and "not-needy".


I challenge you to look at the relationships in your life, that you consider to be "difficult" or "strained". Think about how you show those people love, and how they might actually receive it.


Love is the most powerful thing in the world.. So do it everyday to the best of your ability!

0 comments:

Post a Comment